Santorini, Greece, is one of those magical, picturesque places often seen on bucket lists and dream boards. It’s a fantasy to many – a reality to few.
If you’re fortunate enough to have Santorini on your travel itinerary here are a few of my favorite things to see and do:
For starters, I wouldn’t recommend hiring a car here. We rented one at the port, got a parking ticket, and barely used it. Also, the roads are narrow; traffic can be chaotic in Oia, and parking is limited. There’s a coach bus for a few dollars that runs regularly and is convenient if you want to travel back and forth between Imerovigli and Oia.
Where to Stay:
Anywhere in Oia and Imerovigli on the cliff ledge overlooking the caldera. We spent so much time at our villa here because the view was so spectacular. We’d grab olives, dolmades, crackers, and a bottle of wine from a local shop and enjoy the sunsets, and chatting under the stars.
Where to Eat:
- Pelekanos Restaurant
- Theonis Kitchen
- Aktaion- Understated, nothing fancy, but the food is fantastic.
What to Do:
- Full day sail. 100% can’t miss it. We went with Capt. Ted’s Santorini Sailing on a group trip. The group atmosphere made it more fun and lively, but it depends on what you’re after – they have small and private tours as well. Drinks and food were included, and we stopped everywhere you’d hope to for a swim and snorkel. They have a private beach we stopped at for a dinner buffet as well. I would book at least a week in advance.
- Walk down to Amoudi Bay and around the cliff end past the restaurants. There’s a great spot to swim and a cliff jump.
- Oia Castle is a pretty spot to get a beautiful view – ideal for sunset but can be crowded.
- Coastal walking/hiking trail between Imerovigli and Oia is a must as well.
- Black Beach was overrated, in my opinion. Not worth the trip.
- Akrotiri- Beautiful historical site, but most importantly, there’s a restaurant on the way I would recommend if I could remember the name. It’s tiny and empty, but if you see it, it’s worth the stop. The owner is the sweetest little lady, and she whips everything up in her kitchen from scratch.